Nasal polyps are non-cancerous, pear-shaped masses that develop within the nose. The condition is quite common especially in people above the age of 40 and occurs more in men as compared to women.
Small nasal polyps are non-symptomatic. However, if they grow large in size, they can lead to blockage of the nasal passages and can even become infected and inflamed. Nasal stuffiness, sneezing, post-nasal drip, runny nose and nasal infections are common symptoms experienced by people with nasal polyps.
Among the natural therapies being used for the treatment of nasal polyposis, turmeric has been hailed as the most effective one. Myriads of scientific studies prove the efficacy of turmeric in providing relief from the signs and symptoms of nasal polyps. Turmeric not only helps in reducing the inflammatory symptoms caused by nasal polyps but also help reduce their size, thereby relieving the blockage.
What Is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a common dietary constituent found on kitchen shelves, especially in the Indian sub-continent. It is naturally obtained from the plant Curcuma longa. Turmeric has been a key component of the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for centuries.
The active ingredient of turmeric powder is curcumin which is a potent anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. The curcumin content of turmeric is around 3%. The medicinal and healing potential of turmeric has long since been established.
The Effect of Turmeric on Nasal Polyps
Turmeric has three-way effect on nasal polyps: anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and size reduction.
- Anti-inflammatory: Curcumin inhibits various mediators of inflammation, especially the interleukins, thereby preventing the inflammation of nasal polyps1. Curcumin exerts its effects at molecular level. It blocks the formation of NF-kB, the gene activator of inflammation, effectively hampering the inflammation of nasal polyps2. Since inflammation causes retention of fluid in the tissues, causing them to swell and increase in size, the anti-inflammatory effect of turmeric hinders the increase in size of nasal polyps.
- Anti-oxidant: The strong anti-oxidant property of turmeric prevents the formation of free-radicals, highly reactive molecules that cause oxidative damage to the tissues. Oxidative damage has been proposed as one of the most important mechanisms in the formation of nasal polyps. By suppressing the generation of free radicals, turmeric stops the growth of nasal polyps right in their tracks.
- Size reduction: Perhaps the most important of turmeric’s effects is its ability to shrink the size of nasal polyps. Its curcumin component has the potential to inhibit STAT3, a substance that blocks apoptosis (programmed cell death) of the nasal polyps. By deactivating STAT3, curcumin helps promote the death of the tissues constituting the polyps3.
Curcumin and its analogues have now become the mainstay of the treatment of nasal polyps. Latest therapies are focused on extraction of curcumin and its derivatives from turmeric and refining them, in order to develop safer treatment methods and to improve the therapeutic outcomes of nasal polyps.
How to Use Turmeric for Nasal Polyposis?
- Use 2 drops of concentrated turmeric extract in a glass of warm milk – use low fat milk or alternative (e.g. soy or almond milk).
- Mix the turmeric in the milk and drink it.
- For optimal benefits, drink turmeric infused milk twice daily, in the morning and before going to bed.
Not all forms of turmeric are created equal…
Most of the turmeric supplements you see in stores come in the form of encapsulated powders. The truth is with turmeric powder you may be getting very little actual benefit.
Turmeric powder has a fairly low bioavailability (meaning that a good portion of it isn’t properly absorbed by your body), it often isn’t very fresh, and it’s sometimes made with harsh processes that can destroy or degrade turmeric’s healthful components.
Because turmeric is hard to absorb, it must be formulated in a certain way allowing the body to absorb and utilize its entire spectrum of nutrients.
So if you want to see actual benefit from turmeric and get fast shrinkage of your nasal polyps, you need to be sure you are taking a highly bioavailable one.
The very best form of Turmeric on the market is PuraTHRIVE Organic Turmeric Extract. It is an outstanding full-spectrum extract that’s “liposomalized”—meaning it’s specifically blended to make the turmeric bind to phosphlipids (fats) that increase its bioavailability 10 to 20 times.
Check it out today: PuraTHRIVE Organic Turmeric Extract
Written by Manuel Richards – nutritionist, health consultant, and author of Nasal Polyps Treatment Miracle: the Natural Nasal Polyps Cure.
- Cho JS, Han IH, Lee HR, Lee HM. Prostaglandin E2 induces IL-6 and IL-8 production by the EP Receptors/Akt/NF-ΚB pathways in nasal polyp-derived fibroblasts. Allergy, asthma & immunology research. 2014 Sep 1;6(5):449-57.
- Singh S, Aggarwal BB. Activation of transcription factor NF-κB is suppressed by curcumin (diferuloylmethane). Journal of Biological Chemistry. 1995 Oct 20;270(42):24995-5000.
- Linke R, Pries R, Könnecke M, Bruchhage KL, Böscke R, Gebhard M, Wollenberg B. Increased activation and differentiated localization of native and phosphorylated STAT3 in nasal polyps. International archives of allergy and immunology. 2013 Oct 18;162(4):290-8.