Pruritus Ani (itchy bottom) is a relatively common condition; in which you would experience an itchy anus. This can be an embarrassing and rather uncomfortable condition, with many different causes.
It could be from dry skin, or from not washing enough, from infection, or maybe even from hemorrhoids. Whatever the cause, there are simple ways to solve the problem. Here is a list of simple remedies:
1. Keep The Area Clean
One of the many causes of Pruritus Ani is through not using good cleaning habits.
- After a bowel movement, ensure that you clean the area gently, but thoroughly, using water or a mild soap. Don’t scrub.
- Dry the area thoroughly with a towel or toilet paper. Keep it clean and dry always. Use talcum powder, or a medicated powder, to ensure dryness.
- Wear cotton underwear and looser clothing.
2. Avoid Irritants
Certain irritants like bubble baths, certain soaps, genital deodorants, or even certain wet wipes can make the area flare up. It would also be good to cut out certain foods and beverages, like coffee, citrus, alcohol, and spicy foods.
3. Use Apple Cider Vinegar or Oatmeal
Oatmeal baths are very gentle and soothing for the skin. Pour a cup of oatmeal into warm water and soak for thirty minutes.
Yeast or fungal infections, can cause Pruritus Ani. Apple cider vinegar can help to alkalize your body, and control the infection. You have two options for utilizing apple cider:
- Add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar to warm bath water and soak for fifteen to twenty minutes, once a day.
- Or, you can mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a full cup of water, and drink it twice a day.
4. Wash Your Underwear with Mild Soaps
A major irritant can be soaps. Use a gentle, unscented soap when washing your delicate areas and this can help to alleviate the problem.
5. Use Coconut Oil or Aloe Vera
Both coconut oil and Aloe Vera are known for their soothing properties. Coconut oil is one of the best natural remedies for Pruritus Ani. It is antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial, and it can be used to treat infections. There are two options for coconut oil you can use:
- Rub warm coconut oil around and in the affected area multiple times a day.
- Or eat 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil a day. Luckily, you can use it in your cooking as well, if that is easier for you.
You can use aloe to ease inflammation, irritation and soreness. Rub the gel around the area for about five minutes, and reapply every few hours. You can even use a combination of the aloe and the coconut oil for added effect.
If the problem persists, despite the use of these remedies, consult your doctor. Pruritus Ani is not a fun condition, and it can be truly embarrassing and unpleasant. Utilizing these remedies should help you solve the problem, and maybe it may even help you prevent the problem from returning in the future